Position: Research Assistant
Job title: Research Data Management for the Tomorrow’s Cities’ Nairobi Risk Hub
The Tomorrow’s Cities Nairobi Risk Hub is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of a Research Assistant in Research Data Management, to support the implementation of the Nairobi research project. The position provides commensurate remuneration and a career growth opportunity in research and development.
Purpose of the position
This position is aimed at supporting the Nairobi Risk Hub with managing its research database and contributing to analysis of the same, both for technical and policy purposes. The Nairobi Hub is expected to generate enormous primary and secondary data at different levels and from different sources. As such, organizing, consolidating, and communicating the data in different forms is critical for the expected outputs and outcomes of the Hub.
Working alongside the Hub partners drawn from local and international domains, this role will set-in place a robust database and management framework supportive to the research outputs, strategy, and impact. The specific responsibility will be to manage data from different research teams and workstreams, which will include both qualitative and quantitative data. This role will particularly form a critical interphase between research data and associated products and the candidate is expected to work within a team, consult on the various datasets and also draw new and gather data from various secondary sources. The candidate will also be expected to produce analytical products including maps, infographics, and graphs drawn from the collected data, and ensure that the gathered data is organized into various versions to ease its utility for various purposes including scientific publications, decision support tools, among others.
Programme: Nairobi-Urban Disaster Risk Hub under the Climate Resilient Economies Programme and the Africa Sustainability Hub at the African Centre for Technology Studies
- The candidate should possess a minimum of Masters Degree qualifications in Computer Sciennce,Information Technology, Data Management Systems, Actuarial Science, or any other relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in data management and analysis
- Experience in the application of different data visualization and designs with the ability to translate complex information into clear and attractive representation.
- Applied experience in data management and very strong computer literacy skills with advanced skills in relevant open source technologies e.g. collection tools, database, open source web systems etc.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated experience in working in research and policy environment and ambitious career goal around research and development.
Skills and competences
- Excellent interpersonal, management and communication skills, with proven ability to support narratives to describe results.
- A team player with ability to build strong working relationships, and experience of working across different disciplines.
- Intercultural competence and ability to engage different sets of stakeholders
- Ability to work under limited supervision and meet deadlines
- Good writing skills and demonstrated ability to engage in technical writing
- Ability to write effectively and report to different audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver to tight deadlines and to work on a wide range of different demands.
- Support setting up the Nairobi Hub’s research database and analysis systems, including frameworks for organizing, analyzing, and presenting data in different forms
- In consultation with research teams, put in place mechanisms for ensuring data quality control including data cleaning, verifications, and alignment.
- Document the various data collection methods, tools and approaches and link these to respective data sets.
- Work closely with research teams to gather and maintain a range of analytical tools including graphical analysis, GIS, statistics, Access etc.
- Provide technical support and guidance to colleagues on how to interact with the data base based on various needs including research, policy, and capacity building
- Produce various data analysis products including infographics, maps, statistical tables among others, and in consultation with the research and impact teams
- Ensure data security in coordination with the data management and M&E specialists at the University of Edinburgh
- Work with the research teams and the Hub management team to develop guidelines for data use access and security in compliance with existing data laws.
- Participate in research meetings and provide briefs to the research teams and the coordination committee on the Hub’s data status and opportunities and support required.
- Identify data gaps and needs and report these to the coordination committee and the research teams
- Provide linkage between the research database management and the Management Information System (MIS) where possible.
- Perform any other tasks that will be prescribed by the Hub Directors
Terms of Employment
- One (1) year Contract renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
- The position comes with a competitive pensionable remuneration and a comprehensive medical cover.
- The position provides an opportunity to work and establish networks with globally renowned researchers in the field of Disaster Management and with real career growth opportunity in research and development.
- The position provides an equal opportunity for all, and women candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply: Please send:
- An updated CV of not more than 5 (five) pages including 3 (three) relevant referees and a list of publications
- A one-page research proposal
- A one-page motivational letter
- Certified copies of degree certificates and transcripts
- Copy of identification card or passport (data page, only for internal records)
For further details about this position please contact Dr. Joanes Atela – Director for the Nairobi Risk Hub and Head of Climate Resilient Economies Programme at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note the application deadline for this position is 23rd September 2020.