This consultancy focuses on addressing the impacts of higher temperatures on densely populated urban areas in Africa, particularly those lacking green/blue spaces and insulated housing. The Building Climate Resilience of the Urban Poor (BCRUP) Task Force led by the Government of Kenya and UCLG Africa as implementing partner aims to secure funding from the Africa Research and Impact Network (ARIN) to develop its implementation plan, given the critical environmental challenges faced by Africa’s rapidly urbanizing cities in the context of climate change.
Scope of Work
The consultant’s responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and breaking down the BCRUP-Kenya Implementation Strategy (2023-2030).
- Creating a comprehensive implementation plan with clear objectives, activities, targets, indicators, costs, timelines, partner organizations, responsibilities, and funding sources.
- Developing a roadmap for BCRUP implementation and its launch at COP 28.
The consultant is expected to deliver:
- An inception report outlining the main implementation report.
- The final BCRUP Implementation Plan (2023-2030).
- A resource mobilization strategy for BCRUP.
- A summary of the roadmap for launching the BCRUP implementation plan at COP 28.
Qualifications and Experience
Essential qualifications and experience for the consultant include expertise in climate change adaptation, public policy, urban resilience strategies, climate finance, and socio-economic impact estimation. Fluency in English and experience in project management and stakeholder consultations are also required.
All outputs should be in English.
The consultant will work based on deliverable output, maintaining close communication with the technical team lead and receiving guidance from the BCRUP Task Force/Joint Multi-Agency Secretariat. Engagement with relevant stakeholders, including government agencies, development partners, and communities, is expected.
The assignment will span 60 days.
The project budget is specified, and the consultant should provide a budget according to the provided format.
Payment of fees will be contingent upon the submission and approval of specific deliverables, including the inception report and final draft proposal.
The consultant’s activities include preparing an inception report, reviewing, and updating the BCRUP Implementation Strategy, developing the BCRUP implementation framework, preparing a roadmap for the launch of the BCRUP implementation at COP28, and submitting final deliverables to the BCRUP Task Force.
Interested parties should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) by 5th October 2023 to the Africa Research and Impact Network at Humanfirstname.lastname@example.org , with a copy to email@example.com