The Africa Research and Impact Network (ARIN) is a leading research-impact platform of over 200 researchers and policymakers with national focal points across 36 African countries. ARIN also draws from a database of over 3000 stakeholders from universities, think tanks, the private sector, and governments. ARIN’s mission is to promote research excellence and dialogue on best research and impact practices, by providing platforms for science-policy interface in Africa, building on evidence. ARIN recognizes that Africa is endowed with diverse researchers, innovation, and best policy practices that are not in the public domain yet are invaluable in the research and the development agenda of the continent. ARIN therefore provides a peer review platform where best research and impact practices from different African contexts, are shared, profiled, and leveraged to inform transformative policy action. Among the areas that ARIN has pioneered path-breaking research, are climate change, knowledge management, science technology and innovation. The network currently convenes research and policy platforms on climate action, drawing from the perspective of researchers on, adaptation, science and technology and innovation status in Africa. Through the same approach, ARIN assesses opportunities for science-policy interface, through contextual projects on research commercialization, innovation, knowledge translation and practice. For more information visit: https://www.arin-africa.org
VACANCY003_2023: COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST
In order to promote the work of the Africa Research and Impact Network (ARIN) and the key achievements, the network is seeking the support of a Communications Specialist. ARIN’s relationships are built on effective communications to inform, persuade and engage our stakeholders, partners and audiences at the nexus of sustainability research and policy
Overall Purpose of the Job
Promote greater knowledge among key stakeholders and the public, on the work of ARIN nationally and globally, within the framework of the ARIN Communications Strategic Plan 2023 – 2028.
- Develop a communication work plan for the network in line with the organization’s Communication Strategy
- Create and/or update the representation database including press contacts, international institutions and organizations interested in receiving information from ARIN.
- Perform roles in managing media relations and counterparts.
- Maintain mutual relationship between ARIN and the national and international media. This includes coordination of press conferences, preparation and dissemination of bulletins including all other aspects of media liaison.
- Develop and implement risk communication and community engagement plan.
- Support preparation, production and dissemination of educational material including print, electronic media on ARIN work.
- Produce and disseminate quarterly newsletter.
- Maintain the ARIN website, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn pages and provide advice on the use of other social media platforms.
- Ensure that all products, documents, materials and events carried out in the execution of the agreements and projects comply with the established institutional and intellectual property policies of the organization.
- Support the organizations public communications activities through the drafting of talking points, speeches, press releases, Op-Eds, interviews, events, photos and other communication products.
- Assist with the revision and editing of texts and/or documents for publication by the team.
- Develop, maintain and update a digital photo record.
- Assist with the dissemination of results of programs, projects and activities undertaken by the team.
- Provide guidance for exhibition planning and assist in the preparation and set up of the booth and displays for ARIN at major events.
- Create visual products and design graphic products in keeping with organizational standards.
- Any other required activity to fulfill the objectives of the ARIN network.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- MA in mass Communications, Journalism, public relations, communication sciences or equivalent.
- Previous employment experience (minimum 3 years) in communication, journalism, print media, research documentation and institutional communication.
- English native speaker. Working knowledge of French is an added advantage
- Excellent in written and verbal communication.
- Familiarity with local and international media, and established network of concepts with local journalists.
- Ability to clearly and concisely express ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Proven ability to develop approaches and materials for diverse target audiences, including messaging on culturally sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated experience implementing visibility communications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English with strong analytical and research abilities.
- Solid knowledge of web production, social media and multimedia tools.
- Excellent photography and advocacy skills.
Terms of Employment
This is a national recruited position and is based in Nairobi (Kenya). The initial contract is for one (1) year, subject to a trial period of three (3) months and is renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
ARIN offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for gender balance, diversity, and inclusion in all our recruitment
Please send your application not later than 7th February 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position and reference number in the subject line. Candidates should attach: (a) cover letter illustrating suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies and skills. (b) Detailed curriculum vitae, including names and contact information of three referees knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. Both documents in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, click here