The Africa Research and Impact Network (ARIN) is a leading research-impact platform of over 200 researchers and policymakers with national focal points across 36 African countries. ARIN also draws from a database of over 3000 stakeholders from universities, think tanks, the private sector, and governments. ARIN’s mission is to promote research excellence and dialogue on best research and impact practices, by providing platforms for science-policy interface in Africa, building on evidence. ARIN recognizes that Africa is endowed with diverse researchers, innovation, and best policy practices that are not in the public domain yet are invaluable in the research and the development agenda of the continent. ARIN therefore provides a peer review platform where best research and impact practices from different African contexts, are shared, profiled, and leveraged to inform transformative policy action. Among the areas that ARIN has pioneered path-breaking research, are climate change, knowledge management, science technology and innovation. The network currently convenes research and policy platforms on climate action, drawing from the perspective of researchers on, adaptation, science and technology and innovation status in Africa. Through the same approach, ARIN assesses opportunities for science-policy interface, through contextual projects on research commercialization, innovation, knowledge translation and practice. For more information visit: https://www.arin-africa.org
VACANCY004_2023: FINANCE OFFICER
ARIN is seeking to recruit a Finance Officer to support the Administration Manager in developing business planning, budgeting, and HR operations within the company.
Overall Purpose of the Job
The purpose of this position is to support the financial management of the organization including management of expenditures, financial reporting, and other duties as assigned. The position holder is also expected to support the operationalization of internally accepted financial management standards and to ensure compliance with the various financial regulations and law of the host country as well as international donors and partners supporting ARIN’s work.
Support ARIN’s financial management, cash and investment management, financial and donor reporting, accounting, budgeting, grants and contracts, and procurement functions.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial statements.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Ensure that all financial audits and tax returns are completed in a timely manner, that ARIN quickly responds to all findings and including nonconformance and that necessary action is taken throughout the year to ensure clean audits and highest standards of financial accountability and reporting to the management, donors and the board.
- Oversee budget development, project cash flow planning, and financial monitoring. Familiarize with using risk assessment tools to help with budget planning.
- Work with external consultants to review, update, strengthen and develop policies and procedures for finance, accounting, auditing, grants and contracts and procurement. Ensure that staff are trained in the use and application of all policies and procedures.
- Lead staff members in the digitalization of ARIN financial processes.
- Work closely with researchers to provide regular cashflow projections
- Work in close coordination with the management team to ensure preparation of high-quality financial reports for advisory board meetings on finance, budget, audit and other related issues.
- Ensure that payroll is processed accurately.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- MA or advanced bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, human resource management, finance, accounting, or related field.
- Four (4) years of experience of increasing financial leadership responsibility, preferably in a and international grant-funded nonprofit organization.
- Strong analytic capabilities, especially in financial management, contracting and procurement.
- Experience with proved financial management systems
- In-depth knowledge of labor laws and HR practices.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion as well as an understanding of the contributions a diverse workforce brings to the workplace.
- Demonstrated organizational leadership and decision-making capability at a senior management level in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive matters. Experience with employee relations.
- Exceptional work ethic, well-focused; constructive, positive attitude.
Terms of Employment
This is a national recruited position and will be based in Nairobi (Kenya). The initial contract will be for one (1) year, subject to a trial period of three (3) months and is renewable based on performance and availability of funding.
ARIN offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for gender balance, diversity, and inclusion in all our recruitment
Please send your application not later than 7th February 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position and reference number in the subject line. Candidates should attach: (a) cover letter illustrating suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies and skills. (b) Detailed curriculum vitae, including names and contact information of three referees knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. Both documents in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, click here