The Africa Research and Impact Network (ARIN) is a leading research-impact platform of over 200 researchers and policymakers with national focal points across 36 African countries. ARIN also draws from a database of over 3000 stakeholders from universities, think tanks, the private sector, and governments. ARIN’s mission is to promote research excellence and dialogue on best research and impact practices, by providing platforms for science-policy interface in Africa, building on evidence. ARIN recognizes that Africa is endowed with diverse researchers, innovation, and best policy practices that are not in the public domain yet are invaluable in the research and the development agenda of the continent. ARIN therefore provides a peer review platform where best research and impact practices from different African contexts, are shared, profiled, and leveraged to inform transformative policy action. Among the areas that ARIN has pioneered path-breaking research, are climate change, knowledge management, science technology and innovation. The network currently convenes research and policy platforms on climate action, drawing from the perspective of researchers on, adaptation, science and technology and innovation status in Africa. Through the same approach, ARIN assesses opportunities for science-policy interface, through contextual projects on research commercialization, innovation, knowledge translation and practice. For more information visit: https://www.arin-africa.org
VACANCY002_2023: PERSONAL ASSISTANT TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ARIN is seeking a dynamic, outstanding and self-motivated Personal Assistant (PA) to the Executive Director (ED). The PA must be creative and enjoy working within a small, research environment that is mission driven, results focused and development oriented.
Overall Purpose of the Job
Provide executive support in a one-on-one working relationship with the ED and serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Office of the Executive Director. Serves as a liaison to the advisory committee and senior management teams.
The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks for the ED including: managing active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Communicate directly, and on behalf of the ED, with advisory board members, regional focal points, donors, staff, fellows and others, on matters related to ED’s programmatic initiatives.
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the ED’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Successfully complete critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the ED’s ability to effectively lead the organization.
- Support human resource functions.
- Assist the advisory board members with all travel as needed.
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members.
- Adhere to applicable rules and regulations set in by-laws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
- Ensure that the ED’s bio is updated and respond to requests for materials regarding the ED and the organization in general.
- Edit and complete first drafts for written communications to external stakeholders.
- Work with the communication team in coordinating the ED outreach activities.
- Follow up on contacts made by the ED and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- MBA or advanced BA in Human Resource Management (HRM), public relations, political science and public administration and other related fields.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills in English, knowledge of French or German is an added advantage.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, advisory board members, external partners and donors.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Emotional maturity.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
Terms of Employment
The position is be based in Nairobi (Kenya) and is open to all Africa’s nationals. This is a three (3) year flexible contract reviewed and renewed annually.
ARIN offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for gender balance, diversity, and inclusion in all our recruitment.
Please send your application not later than 7th February 2023, East African time to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position and reference number in the subject line. Candidates should attach:(a) cover letter illustrating suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies and skills. (b) a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and contact information of three referees knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. Both documents in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, click here